Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Making Homemade Baked Fries




My potato cutter you see above has been a great way to make my boys fries in a healthy way over the years.  I simply wash and scrub my potatoes, cut the ends off, and put them through the potato cutter you see above.  I spray my pampered chef stone pan with Pam before putting the fries in. Then I either spray the fries with Pam or use a brush to brush them with olive oil.  This pan of fries has kosher salt sprinkled on them to have fish and chips with vinegar (on the fries) and tartar sauce with the fish.  I set my convection oven at 400 degrees and bake them for 28 minutes.  Sometimes I sprinkle garlic salt and sometimes I use seasoning salt on them depending on what we are having with them. Sometimes I make homemade chicken fingers using sliced chicken breasts with shake'n  bake or bread crumb coating.  I have also made poutine with fries baked this way.  This way I can cook/bake a meal in the oven in a much healthier way than if a similar meal was gotten at a fast food or regular restaurant and fried.  High cholesterol runs in my family and at 40, mine is already borderline high even though I lead a healthy, active lifestyle and maintain a healthy weight.  This makes it even more important for me to be conscious of the types of food I eat.  I also hope and believe that I am helping my children in a day and age where childhood obesity is such a huge problem.  It is very rare that my kids eat fast food and even rarer that I do.

Here are what these fries look like coming out of the oven.  Depending on how crisp you like them, you can bake them a few minutes less or longer.



No comments:

Post a Comment