Friday, June 27, 2014

100 Good Deeds





Earilier this week, I received an email that I had been chosen to receive a 100 Good Deeds Bracelet.  What is that you ask?  100 Good Deeds was started by Mary Fisher partnering with vulnerable women in Africa to make jewelery to help them earn a dignified living.  When you purchase one of these bracelets (mine was given to me), you have done your first good deed by helping to employ 1 vulnerable woman.  Work gives these women dignity and freedom. The person who sent me mine was doing a good deed giving it to me!  That means if you give someone one of these you have done 2 good deeds!  When mine came in the mail today it made my day and I opened it with anticipation because I didn't even know what color I was receiving.


What does this bracelet do for you?  Hopefully it opens you to see the need for compassion and to hear the call for kindness.  Is this something you are conscious of in your daily life?  I think we can always use a gentle reminder to have compassion for others.  



Inside the card packaging it was written that Hellen Nhendwa of Zambia made my bracelet.  Reading her name touched my heart!  Now I will pray for her daily.  Inside the card packaging it explains how your bracelet works.  Each bracelet is made with 100 glass beads threaded threaded onto a hand braided nylon thread using a lucet tool.  At the end of the 100 beads a single rubber ring is added.  This ring is to be moved over 1 bead at a time with each good deed you do, moving the ring closer and closer toward the 1GD button.  The rules are that a "good deed" is you going out of your way to  help someone and only counts if the deed remains anonymous.  I have always believed that it is important to help/do good for others with a giving heart.  I don't believe you should do a good deed expecting something in return or to use to promote yourself.  I think you should always ask where your heart is when doing something for another.  What could feel better than doing something selfless for another?  You can read more at 100 Good Deeds.  I look forward in the days to come to be able to continuously in the days to come to find ways to quietly be able to slide my ring over bead by bead!




No comments:

Post a Comment