Thursday, June 26, 2014

Don't You Just Love Cleaning Your Toilets?

Maybe you do, but I am going to guess that most of you don't.  I will tell you that cleaning bathrooms is my least favorite room to do and that cleaning toilets ranks last.  In fact, if there was one thing I could hire someone to come into my home and clean, it would be my bathrooms.  With 3 little boys and my husband, that can make the situation even less desirable.  So what if I told you that I have some items that could make the task a little easier?

The one thing that I am fortunate to have, is soft water.  However, what I am about to share with you should make your life even easier with hard water.  The first thing is to get those toilets clean.


What you see in the picture above, is a combination that Don Aslett Cleaning Center sells.  Here you see their bowl caddy and johnny mop with their Safety Foam.  The Safety Foam is a professional strength foaming bowl cleaner that is rated #1 by their customers as "the best toilet bowl cleaner ever".  You must use the Johnny mop to plunge the water level down below the water ring.  You then put 1-2 oz of the Safety Foam on the Johnny mop and then agitate the bowl swab inside the toilet bowl and up under the rim while paying particular attention to the water ring.  The high foaming action allows the Safety Foam to cling to the inside of the bowl to help lenthen the dwell time of the cleaner to the soil.  You then allow the Safety Foam to  stay inside the bowl for 4-7 minutes (I like leaving it for the full 7 minutes).  You then give the Safety Foam a few final swishes in the bowl and then flush.

If you still have a ring in your toilet and may need to do some further scrubbing.  In the past I have used a pumice stone, but now have found something even better at the same store.



A pumice stone may leave scratches in your porcelain toilets.   The ShawsPads (you can by little ones without the handle too) are amazing!  Believe me, that with just a little bit of elbow grease, you can get rid of that ring, even if you have hard water!

Once you have gone to the work of getting your toilet that clean, you want to keep it that way right?  They recommend using once a week.

A few years ago, I read on a coupon blog a great way to keep those toilet rings gone - Brominating Tablets.



You can buy them wherever hot tub supplies are sold.  This container was purchased at Walmart.  You simply take the lid off the toilet tank, and place 3 tablets initially in the top right corner of the tank.  Then about every 3 weeks, you put 2 new ones in.  I have been doing this now for about 3 years and it definitely works.  If I miss the 3 week mark, I will start to see build up in my toilets and then I know that it's time to get some tablets back in there.  This really makes my weekly cleaning so much easier and less labor intensive!



No comments:

Post a Comment